Butternut Squash & Kale Sauté
This hearty, savory side dish is the perfect compliment to your holiday feast of turkey or ham.
Write a review
- 2 strips of bacon
- 3 lbs. peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/2 in. cubes (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 1/2 cups chopped, fresh kale
- 1 teaspoon fresh, grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 4 tablespoon chopped, toasted walnuts or pecans
- 4 tablespoon goat cheese or feta cheese, crumbled
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from the pan and allow to cool. Add squash, onion, and garlic to hot pan. Stirring constantly, cook until squash is lightly browned (about 25 minutes).
- Add kale, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Cook until kale is wilted and squash is tender.
- Add cranberries, nuts, balsamic vinegar, and crumbled bacon. Stir to combine. Top with cheese, if desired.
- For a lighter version, remove bacon and sauté vegetables in extra virgin olive oil.
Verve Magazine https://www.vervesouth.com/