Deep Dish Bourbon Pecan Pie
Straight from the menu of Fleur de Lis Gourmet Bakery, this fantastically dense pie is a pecan lover’s delight.
Write a review
Pie Crust Ingredients
- 4 1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 16 ounces unsalted Butter (four sticks)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoon sea Salt
- 1 1/4 cup packed Light brown sugar
- 8 ounces of butter (two sticks)
- 1/2 cup of bourbon
- 1 cup of dark corn syrup
- 6 XL eggs
- 24 ounces rough chopped pecans
For the Crust
- Add 3 1/2 cups flour, salt and sugar (optional) to a large bowl. Stir 2 to 3 times until combined.
- Scatter butter cubes over flour and mix briefly with a fork or spatula to coat the butter with flour.
- Cut the butter into the flour with a pastry blender, working the mixture until the flour has a coarse, mealy texture similar to fresh bread crumbs – about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 cup of flour. Work butter and flour with the pastry blender until flour is evenly distributed, about 20 seconds. (Dough should look crumbly with pea-sized pieces).
- Sprinkle the ice water over mixture. Using a rubber spatula, press the dough into itself. The crumbs should begin to form larger clusters. If you pinch some of the dough and it holds together, it’s ready. If the dough falls apart, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of extra water and continue to press until dough comes together.
- Remove dough from bowl and place in a mound on a clean surface. Work the dough just enough to form a ball. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour, and up to 2 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months (just thaw it overnight in the fridge before using).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Dough will not be workable directly out of fridge and may need to soften at room temperature. Line pan with dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Line crust with parchment and fill with pie weights or dried pinto beans. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove weights/beans, making sure sides of crust are slightly browned. Place crust without weights/beans back in oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
For the Filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine brown sugar, butter, bourbon and corn syrup in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil and cook on medium for 5 minutes allow to cool off the heat at least 10 minute. Beat eggs and combine to pecans. Add contents in sauce pan to egg and pecan mixture agitating while adding. Add to pre-baked crust and bake for 30 minutes or until center reaches approximately 180 degrees.
- This recipe makes enough to fill a 10" x 2" cake pan or 2 10" pie pans.
- Recipe courtesy of Pastry Chef & Co-Owner of Fleur de Lis Gourmet Bakery, Jason Brewer
- Fleur de Lis Gourmet Bakery
- 500 B Courthouse Rd
- Gulfport, MS 39507
Verve Magazine https://www.vervesouth.com/